|ABOUT DISASTER OPERATION CENTER (DOC)
DOC, is established to provide on time, fast, effective and synchronized response to a disaster, coming together of all the related units of Turkish Red Crescent Society (TRCS) in time of a disaster.
DOC is active 365 days in a year, 24 hour in a day. DOC in one hand monitors the disasters and continuously collects data to be prepared to a disaster and to determine the humanitarian assistance that can be needed during and after a disaster and trains relief teams. To be ready to a disaster DOC:
- Evaluates the geographic conditions, building types, population, economic and cultural structure of our country with other institutions and makes “risk and effect analysis”.
- Develops local, regional and national “disaster preparedness and response plans” from the results of these studies.
- Continuously renews these plans and uses to rearrange the disaster relief materials stocks according to need.
- Prepares “disaster scenarios” based on data from the past experiments.
- Provides disaster preparedness and response training and forms qualified disaster operation teams.
- To test the disaster response plans organize practices and trainings.
- Organizes trains and supports search and rescue volunteer organizations.
TRCS, in the frame of reconstruction, now aims to increase the coping capacities of our society with all kind of disasters. DOC helps TRCS to aware public before disasters and crisis. In time of disasters and crisis, helps to realize the effective humanitarian assistance of TRCS. By doing all these, consider TRCS’s capacities and develops measures to use them in right places.
DOC, in time of crisis and disasters, TRCS provides coordination and cooperation between the relief teams at the disaster area and international relief organizations with Prime Ministry Crisis Center.
Also communicates and coordinates with TRCS branches, warehouses, blood and medical centers, local and regional crisis centers around Turkey.
ORGANIZATION OF DOC
DEPUTY GENERAL MANAGER
DOC is managed by the Deputy General Manager. DOC manages TRCS’s research, planning, preparedness and response and logistic support activities about disasters and crisis.
1. DISASTER PLANNING AND PREPAREDNESS DIRECTORATE
With the purpose of TRCS’s effective disasters response;
- Makes risk analysis studies about earthquake and other disasters and prepares scenarios.
- Makes disaster and emergency plans based on scenarios
- Tries to make applicable plans by making trainings and practices
- Supporting and guiding TRCS branches and local authorities for planning the disaster response to meet the needs can come after a disaster.
2. DISASTER RESPONSE AND RELIEF DIRECTORATE
In normal time:
Executes studies for effective response,
Organizes TRCS's internal and external humanitarian help.
In time of disasters and crisis
Manages the disaster response operations of TRCS.
Transmits the disaster news to national and international centers as soon as possible.
Cooperates with the other member national societies of International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent.
DOC DURING AND AFTER A DISASTER
DOC, during disaster:
- Immediately informed about the disasters, damages and lost caused by it by the “Emergency Communication System” depends on high technology.
- Send the fore teams and emergency relief teams to the disaster area as soon as possible.
- Provides continuous communication with the teams at the disaster area by “Emergency Communication System ". Coordinates relief teams to give tents hot meal, medical services, and psycho-social services in proportion to its capacity.
- Coordinates with the lots of relief organizations included in International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent and with volunteer organizations.
- Coordinates the volunteers working in the emergency relief.
DOC, after disaster:
- Keeps on providing emergency needs such as sheltering, nutrition according to the level of affect and in proportion to its capacities.
- Supports regional and central relief works in proportion to its capacities.
- Coordinates the relief works of volunteer organizations.